Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Police - in action on two days

Salisbury Store daring daylight robbery attempt yesterday 19 September 2023. Photo taken R Therkleson.

Two Firearms Incidents Shake Richmond and Nelson over Two Days

Tasman - Armed Robbery Attempt Thwarted in Richmond

Richmond, Yesterday 19 September - A daring daylight robbery attempt at the Salisbury Store in Richmond sent shockwaves through the Richmond community on Monday afternoon. Quick thinking by the store's employee prevented a potentially tragic situation from unfolding.

The situation updated today by Constable Brett Kindley, Tasman Police: the incident unfolded just before 2 pm, when an unidentified man, concealing his identity with a black mask, entered the Salisbury Store on Salisbury Road. The assailant, armed with a weapon, demanded money from a store worker, thrusting the premises into a state of fear and uncertainty.

In a courageous response, the store worker activated a fog cannon, shrouding the store in a dense mist. This swift action proved to be the turning point of the incident, as the robber, disoriented by the sudden fog, hastily fled the scene on foot. Fortunately, no injuries were reported, and it appears that the would-be thief left the store empty-handed.

The Tasman police were alerted to the incident and promptly cordoned off the Salisbury Store. Constable Brett Kindley, Tasman Police, provided insights into the situation, stating, “the offender has entered the store on Salisbury Road just before 2pm and presented a weapon to the store worker and demanded money. The worker has activated a fog canon and the offender has left the scene empty-handed on foot.”  It was a tense moment for those involved, but the fog cannon proved to be an effective deterrent.

However, the police are not taking this incident lightly. “Police are investigating after the incident in Richmond yesterday afternoon, including efforts to identify the masked assailant.”

The incident has left the Richmond community rattled, with Tasman police acknowledging the psychological toll on the victim. "This incident would have been terrifying for the victim, and along with police support, a referral has been made to Victim Support,” Constable Brett Kindley, stated, emphasising the importance of addressing the emotional aftermath.

A worker from the dairy, who was present during the incident, shared their perspective, saying that they were in the back of the shop when the assailant entered. They expressed relief that everyone emerged unharmed. "Everyone is safe now," the worker affirmed, highlighting the importance of community safety.

As the investigation continues, Police are urging anyone with information about the incident to come forward. If you have details that could assist the police in identifying the masked individual, please contact the authorities at 105, quoting file number 230918/8059. Additionally, those who wish to provide information anonymously can do so by reaching out to Crime Stoppers at 0800 555 111.

The attempted robbery at the Salisbury Store serves as a stark reminder of the importance of community vigilance and the critical role law enforcement plays in ensuring the safety of all residents.

Lockdown at Nelson Hospital. Photo stock.

Nelson - Firearm Incident Causes Lockdown at Nelson Hospital

Nelson, Today 20 September - In a concerning turn of events, the Nelson community found itself grappling with another firearm-related incident, this time at Nelson District Court.

Shortly after 1 pm on Wednesday, a man outside the courthouse indicated to security staff that he possessed a firearm. The man left the court premises in a vehicle, which police promptly tracked to Franklyn St in Nelson South, near Nelson Hospital, around 1:15 pm.

The situation escalated rapidly, with surrounding streets cordoned off by police, causing tension and concern among residents, schools and the Nelson Hospital put into lockdown. Franklyn St was blocked off from Tipahi St to Waimea Rd, and a police presence was evident as the community anxiously awaited resolution.

A police officer at the scene noted that there had been "a fair bit of disorder," and some individuals were arrested during the incident.

However, "soon afterwards," police reported that three individuals were taken into custody, and they were cooperating with inquiries. Thankfully, there were no ongoing safety concerns for the public, and Nelson Hospital was able to lift its lockdown.

Although no firearm had been located by police at that time, their investigation into the incident was ongoing. 

These two consecutive incidents have placed the Richmond community and Nelson community on edge, underscoring the need for vigilance and prompt law enforcement responses to ensure the safety and well-being of all residents.

Tasman Police

Pigeon Post News, Richmond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looming changes forecast for Tasman District Council's 10 Year Plan

  Changes looming for Tasman District Council's 10 Year Plan   5 May, 2024 Tasman District Council’s Chief Financial Officer Mike Drum...